Friday, February 26, 2016

Books That I Think Are "Bad"



All of the books that I would rate as "bad" will be collected here in this post. As I come across more "bad" books the list will be updated. Enjoy.

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

And it's not because of the author's politics themselves but rather how they are presented in the book. The fact is this story is boring. It is too caught up trying to prove that the author's way of thinking is correct that she forgets to tell a story. There is a reason this book is not adaptable to a film, or at least a film worth watching. That reason is there is no real story to follow in the book, no characters are created that anyone would want to read about, so even if you were to add in action and spectacle the whole thing still falls flat. There are hints to an interesting story lying around: with mysterious copper mines that produce no copper, the American government scheming to take complete control of the economy using thing like mandatory amounts of books published by a publisher based on how many were published in the 'standard year' that the takeover happens, a international Icelandic pirate who raids relief ships from America to the People's States of Europe. All of these things are mentioned and discussed briefly but never elaborated upon. Now to be fare I did not finish this book. Out of 1188 pages I made it to about 790 before I finally gave up on the book. I have since read the plot synopsis as to what happens from where I stopped and I did not miss much. In those remaining 398 pages John Galt, the avatar for Rand's philosophy, gives a 70 plus page speech on just what he (Rand) believes. A very similar ending can be found in the Jungle by Upton Sinclair.

I'm sure there are a few, or many, of you out there who like this book. I do not and I recommend you do not waste any time reading it.

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

It's really not fair of me to put this on the list since I've never been able to read more than two chapters. But come one book. Come on Conrad. I have tried on four separate occasions, each a year or so apart, to read this book and I cannot. Nothing hooks me. Not the promise of the plot, not the characters, nor even the language itself. It is all so boring. I hate to use that word because a boring book can be rewarding to finish, and maybe I will finish this book some day. Until that day comes this is where Heart of Darkness remains.

~

Here is my sword collection. It's nice to vent sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I've heard from many people that "Atlas Shrugged" is a monumental work--a "must read."
    Guess not...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just because I recommend that you don't read it doesn't mean you have to listen to me. Still thought, just don't.

      Delete